Mary Starr, Executive Vice President, has directed The Starr Group since 1985. She graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Madison with a degree in sociology & social work and a minor in Spanish. She went on to earn graduate credits toward her master’s degree in social work at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee and graduate credits toward her master’s in business administration at Keller Graduate School. In 2010 Mary became a Certified Wellness Coach and in 2016 earned her Certified Corporate Wellness Specialist designation.Mary’s leadership and business practices were rewarded a second time when The Starr Group was named winner of the 2017 Wisconsin Better Business Bureau’s Torch Award for Trust, Performance, and Integrity. This award is a reflection of the Values and Vision of The Starr Group, guided by Mary Starr.Mary has served on numerous boards past and present, including:
- American Heart Association Board of Directors since 2016, where she served as the Chair of My Heart, My Life Committee from 2014-2016, which promotes a Fit-Friendly Workplace. She served as Chairman of the Board 2019-2022.
- The Wellness Council of Wisconsin’s Executive Board of Directors, since 2011 where she serves as co-chair on the Advancement and Programming Committee.
- The Board of Directors for the Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare/Ascension Foundation for St. Francis and Franklin 2011-2021, promoting the Foundation to raise awareness for community programs.
- Milwaukee’s Best & Brightest Advisory Board Member, since 2016.
- The Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare Diabetes Awareness Advisory Board 2011-2021.
- Well City Milwaukee Advisory Board of Directors, working to promote corporate wellness in the Greater Milwaukee area.
- MarshBerry and Associates Advisory Council. MarshBerry is the largest, most prestigious insurance consulting firm in the US. Comprised of a select group of the insurance industry’s top-performing agencies. 1999-2020.
- The South Suburban Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors, 2011- 2018, where she was a founding chair of the Health and Wellness Council and the recipient of the 2013 Member of the Year Award.
Mary has been at the helm of creating The Starr Group’s current award-winning wellness program, Fit4Life, which has received numerous accolades including the following:
- 2014-2021 National Healthiest 100 Workplaces, inducted into Hall of Fame 2022.
- Well Workplace Award, Wellness Council of America, since 2011.
- American Heart Association Workplace Health Solutions, Gold Award winner 2009-2021. Recognized for work-site and community innovation.
- 2012-2015 award winner of the Healthiest Employers in Milwaukee 2011 runner-up.
- 2013, 2012 individual winner of the BizTimes Fittest Exec challenge, finalist in 2011, 2010, 2009.
- 2013 team winners of the BizTimes Fittest Exec challenge, team finalist 2012.
- 2015 Wisconsin Worksite Wellness Award.